Friday, November 30, 2012

Random Thoughts in the Night

I have had so many sleepless nights the last few weeks.  Pretty sure I can blame the little boy in my tummy.  But I think my full plate of raising 4 kids, trying to help my oh so busy (with a VERY full plate himself) husband where I can, hosting my family Thanksgiving weekend (that meant 24 people in my house for 4 days!), getting prepped for the arrival of baby #5, getting ready for Christmas, designing the new house and trying to get loans and such all figured out for that, whew!  well, once I'm awake, I'm awake... thinking.  And what am I thinking about?

The house - this could mean the current one or the one we're dreaming up.  I make list after list of all that I want to get done before putting our house up for sale, probably in the spring.  And how in the world am I going to do all those things with 5 kids, one being a newborn!  It involves storage, painting, and lots of cleaning.  And if I happen to look at my house plans before going to bed I end up obsessed that night over every nook and cranny of the new house. 

Election -  I can now talk about it without getting teary.  I have SO much I could say about this subject, and how I think this election will affect our nation, but I won't because I can't necessarily change what's going on in Washington.  BUT I have decided that I can stay positive about all the great things about this country.  And that I can count my blessings.  And that no matter what is going on in the world or what is being taught in the world, I can choose what will be taught and believed in my own home.

Baby - I went through my old baby boy clothes.  Boy clothes aren't nearly as cute as girl clothes.  sigh.  Like, not even close.  I didn't realize this with my first 3 kids, but after dressing Tessa for 2 years, well, boy clothes are so disapointing now.  Oh and we still don't have a name for this baby. I lie awake trying on different names... and when I decide I love one, I tell Bryan and he says no.  ugh.  And I can no longer paint my toenails, barely can get my socks and shoes on, have given up on shaving, feel exhausted doing the smallest things, can't imagine how my belly can get any bigger and have to completely wake up to turn this big body from one side to the other. 

Hostess - all the hype about them going out of business didn't phase me much (except for feeling so bad for those who lost their jobs) until one night I suddenly realized that this would mean NO more powdered donettes!!!  I could do without twinkies and ding dongs, but how could I go camping without powdered donuts to wake up to?  so sad.

Christmas presents - I hate toys.  I hate picking them up.  I hate how easily they break or how quickly the kids get bored of them.  My kids have way more fun being outside playing with sticks, rocks and frogs then any toy out there.  So when it comes to Christmas I get SO frustrated!  I would happily have a simple Christmas, with a couple well thought out gifts, BUT here's the catch.  For some reason all the other parents out there don't feel the same way.  I know I shouldn't compare, and actually I don't necessarily compare, but my kids do, they hear what all their friends got.... so and so got an Ipad, so and so got an XBox, so and so got this that and the other.  So I struggle to find just the right things.  I want them to be excited about what they get, but I don't want crap toys.  Heaven help me.... or maybe one of you out there can help me.  Any great ideas?

Pinterest - wow.  what a bunch of stuff.  Just started really browsing through all the stuff.  It's a good time waster in the middle of the night.  I'm sure I'll be pinning away during midnight feedings come January.  And yes, I have actually done a couple things I've pinned (try the artichoke fondue!  To die for!)

Anyway, random post, I know.  So I'll post a few random pics to go with it :)

photo11

Tessa has been very interested in watching my sister nurse her baby.  Apparently it made an impression.  We fit right in at Walmart when she decided her baby was hungry and just pulled up her shirt to feed her :)

DSC_9963

All dressed up for church.  She's my live doll. 

DSC_9951

Thank you pinterest for a fun fall craft project to do on a Sunday afternoon.  Painting with Qtips!

DSC_9952

2 comments:

The Gray Family said...

I remember that pregnant insomnia all too well....hang in there! You are an amazing mama who will get everything done. And it WILL be good enough :>) And rumors are that some company or another is going to buy the Hostess recipes so my guess is that powdered donettes (and those amazing waxy chocolate ones!) will live on!

Megan said...

I had a panic attack last night over my full plate... it should keep me up at night, but thankfully it doesn't. Reading your post nearly gave me another panic attack.. AAAhhh... Don't get sucked into what society says Christmas should be about. Simplify, Simplify, Simplify!
P.s. Got your Christmas card... love it!! Hannah hopes the baby comes on her birthday.