Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cardboard Boat Regatta

What has my hubby been up to this week? Work? Yes, he worked, worked hard and long as usual, but this week he has also spent many hours with his co-residents preparing for the 1st Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta!

DSC_5184

What is this you ask? Well, you build a boat completely from cardboard. You can tape and calk the seams and paint and seal the rest, but that's it. Then you and your friends bring it to the regatta where you race it against all the other teams. Bryan and his co-residents thought it'd be fun to do. And it was!

DSC_5256

Yes, they got 6 grown men in and paddled their way to the ropes and back. It was hilarious and impressive that the thing didn't sink.

DSC_5424

While the guys were focused on their competition, the boys busied themselves with sand, water, sticks and Gatorade... an ideal day for them.

DSC_5206

DSC_5189

Jillian, the wife of one of Bry's co-residents, is the one who found out about the event and suggested the idea. Yeah Jillian!

DSC_5325

After the race (which they placed 3rd) was the Demolition Derby... that's where all the boats go out and ram into each other until they're all sunk. Ty got to go out with the big boys for this. Can you see his little head in the boat!?

DSC_5334 DSC_5335

Yes, that's 6 grown men, ramming into 2 teenage girls banana boat :)

DSC_5346

Eventually the POS (pi omicron sigma) boat was taken out. Seriously, so funny. About peed my pants watching. And the floating life jacket out there is Ty... he bailed a little bit before this... he said it was scary in there.

DSC_5369

DSC_5394

All their hours and this is how it all ended up! All the boats ended up looking about the same.

DSC_5416
The guys at the award ceremony... their 3rd place boat paddle award will be hanging in their residents room at the hospital. Too bad we won't be here next year... this would've been a fun tradition! I think the boys and I would've built one too. Such a fun day!

4 comments:

Phil and Holly said...

Soo funny! I loved all the pics, and the fact that Ty bailed. hahaha Go Bryan! Still got it in you
-Holly

Megan said...

What fun!! I wish you were going to be here too!

Jillian said...

Such a fun day! Thanks a ton for the blog post, Kristen - your great photography brings it to life!

j. and a. jerman said...

I agree with Jill, I totally relived it a second time just now - you are the queen! And like I told her - ya'll will just have to come back for next years competition!