Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter

DSC_0325

I've thought a lot about this Easter holiday these last few weeks. And I realized something. I am NOT doing it justice in my home. Christmas gets my full attention. I spend lots of time thinking of how I can teach my children what Christmas is truly about and making it Christ centered. But here's my confession: I don't work half as hard on Easter. I'm not sure why. Easter usually comes around and we dye eggs, frost spring sugar cookies, have Easter egg hunts, giggle about the Easter bunny and eat boat loads of sugar. At some point I usually point out that this holiday is really about Jesus and His resurrection, but considering that the Atonement and Resurrection of our Savior are the most important events that have happened in all of creation, I've realized I HAVE NOT done near enough! So I have decided to change that.

DSC_0339

I've got a gameplan for future Easters but didn't exactly get to it this year (oooh but it's a good gameplan!). But I didn't give up. I just grabbed a collection of pictures of the last week of our Saviors life (from the Gospel Art Kit) and every night I went through them with my kiddos. We talked about the events and what we could learn from them. After a few days of doing this I had the boys start teaching me. What an amazing experience it was. And it was SO easy to do! Today after dinner I had the boys teach their Dad and Aunts and Uncle about the true meaning of Easter. It was so great to see that my kids got it! It's really made me excited about next year and working on making Easter another wonderful opportunity to teach my children about Jesus Christ.

DSC_0351

I'd love to hear what you do in your homes to make this season more about our Savior! Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I miss those cute kids and would love to see the one I haven't yet met! I decided yesterday that from this point forward the Easter Bunny comes Saturday morning and not Sunday morning. For my wild kids it's too distracting from the seriousness and sacredness of Easter.

The Wright Fam said...

First of all, your kids have to be the most gorgeous kiddos around, what beautiful pics of your cute family!!!

I totally agree with you about Easter, I NEED to make a gameplan for next year and I love the idea you shared, pass any other fun ideas you hear about along!! I know I can always count on you for fun ideas for kids and to keep the focus where it should be-- you are an AMAZING mom, your kids are sooo lucky!!