Saturday, July 6, 2013

Old Memories and New Memories

About once a year we take the journey back to my mother land... the land of Clovis CA. This June it was time for our trip!

  DSC_2052

 While staying with my parents we enjoyed naps in the shade of the backyard, a fabulous Fathers Day dinner WITH my dad, tractor rides, roasted smores over the fire pit and visited the local water park (named Clovis Lakes in my day!).

  DSC_2111

One of the great things about growing up in Clovis is it is just a couple hours from just about EVERYTHING! Like the Sequoia National Forest. It's where I grew up camping. Bry hadn't ever been there so we made sure to spend a day checking out the sites.

  DSC_2117

 We saw some HUGE trees

  DSC_2114

 And STOOD on some HUGE trees

  DSC_2077

Drove THROUGH some huge trees (I love that I have a picture from 25 years ago of me and my family in our big red suburban under this same tree!)

  DSC_2064

And WALKED through some huge trees

DSC_2076

We also had a picnic

  DSC_2085

 Hiked with Grandma

  DSC_2093

 Found big rocks to climb

  DSC_2119

And ended our day with ice cream at the same little country store we went to years ago (Amy, remember when we accidentally left you at the campsite when we went for ice cream? :)

  DSC_2062
We did everything on my list of TO DO for the great land of Sequoias.

DSC_2129

The second half of the trip was spent on the coast. We stay at my grandparent's home (both who have passed away). I love how full of memories that home is and I love that my kids are making their own memories there. Memories so different than my own. It's funny, I never knew how close their home was to so many awesome things!

  DSC_2261

Like the beach!  We spent many hours at the beach.  It's like a huge playground.

  DSC_2270

DSC_2292

 We picked buckets of berries

  DSC_2300

DSC_2209

 We played at the beach again (can you see the itty bitty crab?)

  DSC_2304

 (then we found bigger crabs)

  DSC_2307

DSC_2122

 We learned to play with our toes

  DSC_2226

DSC_2211

We played at the beach some more

  DSC_2220

DSC_2154

We went to the aquarium

  DSC_2133

DSC_2139

DSC_2185

And played at the beach some more.

  DSC_2188

DSC_2177

Pretty sure this is my favorite pic from the whole week!

  DSC_2286

And the best part was hanging with my family and these 2 all week! I love being with my parents and seeing my kids with my parents.

  DSC_2288

I was lucky enough to be raised and taught by them and I hope my kids can partake of their wisdom too. They're pretty darn awesome.

1 comment:

BrieAnn said...

Great post! I'm about to make the great voyage to my homeland (Arizona). I love seeing my children in all of the places that make up my memories of childhood.