Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Okay so I know there are some people out there who don't love the Halloween season. Shocking, I know. But to an extent I get it. I don't like the gore and dark take on the holiday either. BUT, everything else about it brings absolute joy to my heart!

  photo

First and foremost are the COLORS of fall! We live tucked up by the mountains and HOLY color! Every day I was excited to get in my car to run my daily errands, and see how amazing the world looked!

  DSC_3582

 And let me tell you, my new neighborhood (the one we're building in) is absolute heaven this time of year. Oh this picture doesn't do it justice. I think I will spend many years to come trying to capture the magnificence of fall in this neighborhood. I would take the kids over to the lot just to wander the neighborhood, sloshing through the mounds of leaves and feeling bathed in colored light filtered through the trees!

DSC_3355 DSC_3513

Fall makes for the ideal time for family pictures!  Thankfully the stress of fall family pictures season is gone for me now that I don't do the professional photographer thing anymore.  Now I just get to enjoy a couple shoots for my family.  Love doing that!

DSC_3568

I even jumped into a picture or two.  Aren't my sisters beautiful!

  DSC_3989

Of course I had to get a few pics of my busy brood in all the fall foliage too!

But what I LOVE most are the many traditions we've established for October.

  photo7

Like our annual trip to the Lagoon Frightmares.

  photo3

 We go right when it opens (before the freaky stuff starts crawling out).

  photo8

Bry and I love trying to convince the kids to go on the big rides.  We may have paid Ty to go on this one :)

  photo5

And we're very aware that our equilibriums just aren't what they used to be.  I may need to take a Dramamine next year.

  photo4

Tessa hasn't gotten old enough to join us on our Lagoon trip.  Next year we'll probably bring her and leave Knox with Nanna.  He was pretty bored by it all.

DSC_3610

We also love our traditional evening at Cornbelly's.

  DSC_3617

 So glad Nanna could come with us. With 3 busy boys, 1 opinionated girl, and a baby, the extra hands are always appreciated! Plus Tessa's favorite person in the whole world is her Nanna.

  DSC_3602

The Beast must be conquered every year. This year they declared it NOT scary. Usually they come out screaming!!! Sad.

  DSC_3624

Yes, sadly I think they're getting a little old for a lot of the stuff here. There were a handful of things that they were excited to do though.

  DSC_3626

Like racing their brothers around the track.

DSC_3629

 The big kids may have to stick it out for a while though, cuz the little ones still think it's fun.

  DSC_3595

 This happy baby of mine shouldn't be denied our fun traditions just because the big boys start to outgrow them.

  20131016_183238

And once we couldn't brave the cold evening anymore we warmed up with dinner at JCWs.... just like we do every year.

DSC_3938

And then there's one of my favorites, the pumpkin patch tradition.

  DSC_3962

 This year we had to find a new one (Farmington had an awesome one but its a bit too far away).

  DSC_3924 DSC_3926

I had to search to find what I wanted. A patch. A real patch. Not just some big playland with a pile of pumpkins for sale in the corner.

  DSC_3920 DSC_3923

 And I found it! The boys love hunting for their perfect pumpkin. And work so hard to get it back to the wagon.

  DSC_3934 DSC_3950

Even princess Tessa went hunting.

  DSC_3931 DSC_3943

Knox just got to watch it all from the wagon.

a2013-10-24 18.23.09

This patch had everything we needed. Great pumpkins, an actual patch, a hayride (check out Tessa's new "smile"),

  DSC_3977

And even free donuts and cider. We'll be back next year for sure!

  DSC_3651

We also held our cousin Halloween party, which we combined with cousin Gavin's birthday party.

  DSC_3707

We had lots of fun halloween foods (we went a little healthier this year), and lots of fun games, like ghosts on a straw,

DSC_3691

Pin the smile on the jack o lantern,

DSC_3672

and our family favorite, donuts on a string!  I have a picture of my sisters and I when we were little doing this exact thing!

DSC_3675

Cousins (and traditions!) are the best!!!

a20131026_123216

 My 35th Birthday wasn't nearly as fun as Gavin's party.  Bry was out of town.  Hunting.  That's all I'll say about that.

  a2013-10-28 20.23.36

I DID create the world's BEST (no this is not an exaggeration) Mint Chocolate Cake for my birthday though.

  DSC_4001

 And the last Halloween tradition is carving our pumpkins. I love that the kids like to do it themselves now.

  DSC_4003

They drew the faces themselves and then with a little help from Bry and I they cleaned 'em out and carved 'em!

  DSC_4010

 Some pumpkins just got a couple drawn on faces (YOU try carving that face out!).  I've learned to just let go of the idea of those awesome pinterest looking pumpkins. These ones are pretty awesome too.

  DSC_4007 

Tessa wanted a sad one this year. Sadly, I never got around to getting candles in these cute pumpkins. Never saw them all lit up. But the kids never noticed, so nothin' to worry about!

  20131014_211425

And we started a new tradition this year. Taking Nonna out for a Halloween dinner and show at Gardner Village. So fun!

  DSC_3297

 Oh so much tradition and so many great family things to do! Halloween season is the best! Well I guess Christmas is pretty wonderful too. Nice to have even more to look forward to.

No comments: