Saturday, March 29, 2014

February Review and Rants

I always look forward to February.  In the midst of winter dreariness Valentines brings out some decorations (yes, I love taking them all down at the end of December, but after a month of no holiday sparkle, I'm ready!) and some fun activities.  Plus we're that much closer to the beginnings of spring.

2014-02-14 14.19.19

I had to giggle when my three big boys all came down on the morning of Valentines Day in their holiday red shirts.  I guess I've been coordinating their clothes for holidays enough that it's just part of them now :)

  2014-02-13 10.35.53

This year we made our own Valentines.  Some moms may read that and roll their eyes.  I hope there aren't moms that see it and feel bad that they didn't make homemade Valentines for their kids.  I've seen so many articles and comments about the over-doing-holidays kind of moms.  But instead of bashing moms who are just having some fun with their kids (who are only little for so long), how about an article about how moms need to stop comparing themselves to other moms!  Facebook and Pinterest and other forms of social media can really breed frustration on so many levels because of comparisons.  Just be the mom YOU want to be.  And that doesn't mean the cool mom you see on the computer.  Cuz I tell you what, if I had to find a super creative place for my elf every night of Christmas I just might have a mental breakdown.  But a high five to every mom who finds fun in doing it, who loves watching her kids giggle at his mischief.  Some holidays I have the time and the effort to make it super fun for my kids (and for me!)  Other time, its just the same as any other day.  Some Valentines I have a great time making fun cards with my kids.  I love having a creative, time consuming project for them to work on!  But other times, like last year (I'd just had a baby!), I was so grateful for the $2.99 box of cards from ol' Target.  I just love anything that makes mothering more fun for me and makes great memories and traditions.  That's what's really important to me.  As a child development major in college I learned that one of the best things to strengthen a family's bond is traditions… in whatever form you choose.  Let every mom do their own thing.  Let's not be so critical.  And maybe go on a social media diet.  It's helped me.  Helped me be happy with me, and my mothering.  Rant over.

  2014-02-13 16.25.58

 So for our family, our tradition is to make valentines cookies, not the pretty Pinterest ones… but the drowning in frosting and sprinkles kind.

  2014-02-14 17.56.13

 We also have the same dinner every year.  Take out Chinese.  I don't have to cook (happy valentines day to me!), I'm with the people I love (not in some restaurant with a bizillion strangers) and we read our valentines to each other.  (notice where my dog is?  smart dog)

  2014-02-20 21.28.05

My true Valentine and I did get in a couple great dates in this month, including dinner at Forage (coolest and strangest meal I've ever eaten) and a night in the ol' Marriot Center cheering on the Cougs!!

  2014-02-15 14.09.10

 This month Knox got extra busy! Which means mom is extra busy!  He's figured out the stairs.  Sigh.

  2014-02-17 19.06.56

 And there's no more easy diaper changes.  He's on the move.  But still just crawling.

  2014-02-18 12.07.35

 His high chair is the only spot he'll happily sit still.  What would I do without my helpers!

  DSC_5114

 But the biggest celebration in February was Brans' big 8th birthday!!

  DSC_5116

 He decided he wanted a Lego Movie birthday party.  I knew a Lego cake would be requested one day.  I loved how it turned out… and those are real legos squished onto the sides (nope this mom didn't buy Lego molds and make edible legos like all the cakes I saw online… and that's ok, props to those moms!)

  DSC_5119

 Brans was so excited to get to invite a bunch of friends to his party.  In our family that only happens on our 8th birthday (and 12th and 16th).  Usually it's just one or two friends invited to our family party.  I loved that Brans wanted to go see the Lego Movie with his friends.  Made for a super easy party!

  DSC_5122

 Happy 8th Birthday my super smart, incredibly creative, funny Brans!

  DSC_4991

 Now I'm not usually one for dressed up photo shoots (I usually try to pick clothing that is really "them" at that time in their life), but when you're turning 8 it's pretty special.

  DSC_4982 copy

This big boy gets to be baptized!   He was so excited.  And I'm just so happy with the amazing young man he's becoming.

No comments: