Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Stitches, Belated Birthdays and Sandy Beaches



Happy New Year! Besides the annoying resolutions I've now refused to even make, I've only had one other tradition that goes along with New Years day. It began, I think before I was even born. My mom's side of the family would hold an annual Bybee New Years Party with my grandpa and grandma and all the aunts and uncles and cousins. I loved it! It went on 'til I was grown, and then as everyone passed away or moved away it slowly disappeared.

 2015-01-01 18.37.05

Well in the last few years I've realized that there's a bunch of us Bybees who have immigrated to Utah. We don't see each other much though. We have families of our own and well, life just gets busy! But that's no excuse! I decided it was time to pick that tradition back up! You know me and traditions!

  2015-01-01 18.36.57

So after years without it, we began again! New Years day I hosted another Bybee party! It was so fun to see cousins and great aunts and uncles that I hadn't seen for a long time!

  1685995983

We did a lot of eating and catching up.

1332367384

But my favorite part may have been watching my kids playing with 2nd cousins they didn't even know they had.  My hope is that this tradition will continue.  Maybe that will be my only new years resolution.

IMG_20150104_113540

After New Years we had a couple more days to enjoy our Christmas booty.  Tessa loved dressing up for church in her new dresses from her Nanna.

  20150108_221812

The boys got a kick out of wearing the masks that Auntie Michelle gave them to the BYU basketball games in hopes of getting on the big screen… and yes, they were successful.

  2015-01-10 19.06.33

And Bry and I enjoyed a date night at Cabelas to use up a gift certificate he'd been given.  Technically the gift certificate was for just for Bryan but after I realized they had like 20 different kinds of fudge there to try, I ended up with a box of rolo fudge to take home with me.  I may have to go back soon, solely for that reason.

  2015-01-11 16.56.53

Despite some freezing temps at the beginning of the month, we tried to make it outside every once in a while for some fun.  Ignore the fact that my kids aren't wearing coats.

  2015-01-16 20.14.18

But we often resorted to creating our own fun indoors. Like our Harry Potter night, where we celebrated finishing Book 3 by watching the movie and nibbling on Firebolt broomsticks and Bertie Botts every flavor beans (aka Jelly Bellys).

  IMG_20150107_200409

We also began our new life as CubMaster and Wolf Den leader.  Aren't we just adorable in matching khaki.

  20150117_184420

And we squeezed in a date with Bryan's grandma, a wonderful woman we call our Nonna.

  2015-01-14 10.25.29

There were a couple things that stood out as the highlights of the month. One being the opportunity to go the temple together to do the work for some of Bryan's ancestors.  We're starting to catch the family history bug!  It can be exciting!

  20150123_112257

The other highlight was the greatly anticipated couples trip we had planned.

  20150123_112207

With some of our bestest friends from dental school.

  20150125_142607

Where I had my very first encounter with traveling on this!

  20150125_114747

It was an amazing week, where our most difficult decisions were what to do that day. Ya know, should we sit at the pool,

  20150127_135247

 Or, sit on a beach,

   View

Or, travel up winding roads with crazy drivers to see some of the most magnificent views ever,

  imagejpeg_0

Or, try a fun excursion, like river rafting in Grenada, or ziplining in St Lucia or snorkeling in St Croix.

  20150126_113447

The other big choice of the day was WHAT and WHERE to eat? Should we take breakfast on our deck, overseeing the newest port?

  Lunch

Maybe we should have lunch at a beach side cafe in St Lucia.

  Dinner

Dinner was always in the dining room, but what meal to choose? Can't decide? Just order ALL the ones you want to try!

  20150127_162824

I think my favorite meal was the BBQed lobster on a Catamaran in Antigua.

  20150127_004647

 But no matter what the decision, there was always the ice cream to partake of. Everyday. After every meal.

  20150125_143232

As it came to an end I knew I would miss views like this.

  Gals

And giggling with our friends.

  20150131_130127

 And never having to clean up a thing because of awesome people like Nola.

  20150125_185437

 But mostly I'd miss having hours and hours to hang out with this guy.

  20150131_145551

Of course I wouldn't miss the itty bitty bathrooms or the swaying of the boat (that stuck with me for about 2 days after we disembarked). And once we got back to Puerto Rico, I was really starting to miss my little family back in UT.

  20150131_144757

So we said goodbye to our carefree life and our friends that we don't see often enough and headed back to the wonderful chaos awaiting us.

  DSC_7732

My amazing mom was holding down the fort for us. Seriously, 5 kiddos and a dog is no easy task.  There's getting everyone ready and to school, feeding, cleaning, homework, bedtime, whew!

IMG_0995

She came prepared with games.

  IMG_3176

 Got them all dressed and took them church. I told you she's amazing.

  IMG_3191

 Loved on my babies.

  IMG_1680

 And even had to handle a more traumatic event. An accident requiring stitches.

  imagejpeg_4

 She knew our Gunka would take good care of him.

  imagejpeg_2

 Best patient ever. No seriously.

  imagejpeg_3

 4 stitches, and hardly a tear, later

  IMG_7299

And I missed it all. By the time I got home the stitches were out and there was nothing but a little red line left.

  IMG_3187

 Grandma had it all handled, including the 2 birthdays we missed. Both Cason and Knox turned a year older while we were gone. I know. Parents of the year.

  IMG_20150104_121613

To make up for it I threw this guy a surprise birthday party before we left on our trip.

  2015-01-22 18.11.34

 His cousins and a few friends all came to the house while I was taking Cason to his piano lesson. It was a total surprise! We had pizza.

  DSC_7702

 And of course a cake!

  2015-01-19 02.49.09.png 2015-01-22 13.58.54

 This, if you don't know your Minecraft characters, is a Snow Golem.

  DSC_7703

He loved his party and told me that it all felt like a dream. That made me feel much better about being gone on his actual birthday.

  DSC_7706

7 years old. Wow. He's my middle baby. I hope he doesn't get lost in the midst of all the crazy. I worry that he won't realize how smart he is. He LOVES math and it shows on his scores. He's a bit shy but so sweet. He loves to cuddle up to me as I read to the boys at night. How many more years will he do that? He has a tender heart, one that a mama wants to protect. But it gets harder as they get older. He's thoughtful of others and beams with pride when he helps me. I want so much for him to know how totally awesome he is!

  20150205_193722

When we got back from our trip we made sure to have our birthday date with him too. Of all the places he could have chosen, we ended up at McDonalds. :/  Pretty sure he just wanted the ice cream cone. I think he looks so old in this picture!

  DSC_7715

We also missed my little Knox's 2nd birthday. But lets be honest, he had no idea. So we celebrated it when we got back.

  DSC_7720

 His vocabulary isn't extensive enough to request a cake, plus I had been home for less than 24 hours and hadn't hit a grocery store yet, so his cake was a conglomeration of whatever I had in the pantry.

  DSC_7730

 He didn't seem to mind.

  DSC_7748

 My 2 year old. He's funny and patient. He's happy and busy. He gives out thank you's and sorry's when needed. He's a bit of a mama's boy. And has recently refused to take naps. He loves chocolate milk and GoGos and yogurt covered raisins. He is Curious George's biggest fan. And has me and everyone who meets him, totally in love with him.


20150127_141530

All in all, it was definitely a month to remember. To remember I'm blessed. Blessed with a best friend. A great family (both born into and married into). And lots of wonderful chaos to enjoy.

No comments: