Friday, April 25, 2008

I Am A Daughter of My Heavenly Father

Okay, so I'll admit it...I'm an Oprah watcher. With the heaven sent invention of Tivo, I can keep up with all the Dr Oz facts and Oprah's Favorite Things. Last night I watched an episode about Marie Shriver's new book. It was meant to be a liberating and positive episode, but I actually found it so sad. Basically Marie wrote about how she had lost herself when she left her job to full time support her husband, and that she didn't know who she was. Many women in the audience and on a panel (of ladies who had read the book) expressed the same feelings, feelings of being lost and not knowing who they were anymore (mostly through the giving of self to their families). As I sat and listened to them discuss how they were going to discover themselves again, an overwhelming sense of gratitude washed over me...because I know who I am. It doesn't matter what role I am taking on a the time, student, wife, mother, teacher, I am always a beautiful, cherished daughter of God. Because of his gospel I know why I am here on this earth, I know my purpose, I know what brings me true joy, I know my infinite worth. Now life can be hard and frustrating!!! but I know why I'm doing it. I know what I am doing is so eternally important. I wished I could pop onto Oprah's stage, and tell everyone that they won't find themselves through a new job, or hobby, or whatever. You come to find yourself through getting to know your Heavenly Father. I'm so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ!!

1 comment:

Kara and Mike Barber said...

I love knowing I am a daughter of God too!
P.S. all the pictures on your blog are so cute!