

A few days ago I received the heart wrenching news that a good friend of mine lost her battle with cancer. I hate to say she lost, because it may have taken her body, but it sure didn't kill her soul. For 2 1/2 years Robin fought her leukemia. Most of us would have given up a long time ago, but the love for her husband, and even more, her love for her little girl Hailey, kept her going. I will miss her and admire her forever. I find peace in knowing our Heavenly Father's Plan and knowing that our families can be forever.
For those of you who never had the privelage of knowing her I thought I'd include a small journal entry of hers, from her online journal that she kept through it all.
"I went wig shopping the other day with Jason and my mom and finally settled on two different styles. One was a funky, short "meg ryan" type style and the other one was the closest style and color I could find to my natural hair before I lost it. I did however learn that I could pull off red hair if I wanted and that I look like a corpse with brunette hair!! I find life with cancer has been a continual learning experience. Going to public places with my big mask and different hats on has made me realize what it might feel like to be handicapped or look differently than the norm. I find that many people will either stare or divert their eyes, which are both uncomfortable. I find that the people who casually look and smile make the best out of the situation. I also find the I cry at the craziest times. I will be at the park watching my Hailey squeal in delight as she slides down the slide and I will have tears streaming down my face because I am so thankful to be alive to witness it. I find that I hug tighter, kiss more, and live more in the moment. I've learned that life is not about a "to do" list, but it is about your friends and family, what you can learn, love, enjoying great food and other's talents, and relishing the sweet moments in life. I find myself doing things I never did before, like stopping to hear the piano player with Hailey at Nordstroms or sitting in my car until a really good song ends instead of rushing on to my next task."
May we all relish the sweet moments in life more. Robin would like that.
4 comments:
I have been reading her Journal entrys for a while now amazed at how there was always a positive side to things. Its just so hard to believe that not so long a go we were singing in Encore together!!!
I was just thinking about her the other day and wondering how she was doing. I only knew her through occasionally reading her journal entries but she was such an inspiration. She had such a positive attitude through it all.
Oh how sad! Sad for those she left behind, especially her young children & friends. But wonderful for her to be free of her sick body! That entry from her is so touching!!
Just reading this makes me tear up. Hopefully she will see how she has affected so many peoples lives for the better through her life, and especially through these last few years. I know that Jason and Hailey will always treasure the book that you made for her.
Post a Comment