Thursday, February 11, 2010

Help

I would consider myself a pretty good cook. Hand me a recipe and I can usually pull it off. Heck I can even adapt recipes and have created a few of my own. But there is one thing I CANNOT MAKE! No matter how many times I have attempted one of my favorite treats it turns out bad. Rice Krispy treats, how you frustrate me. Everytime I make them they get all soggy, like the krispies themselves don't stay krispy (instead they're all chewey and stale-like). I've tried everything I can think of. Made sure the marshmallows were fresh, the rice krispies were fresh, I've tried them on the stove and in the microwave. I've adjusted the amount of butter, the marshmallow, crispy ratio. I don't know what else to do. Anyone out there have a solution?

5 comments:

Phil and Holly said...

i don't know, but whatever recipe you end up with, make sure it has peanut butter in it!
-Holly

Misty said...

I pretty much ruin everything I attempt to make, but Rice Krispies are the one thing I do well. I'm making giant Hershey's Kisses shaped RKTs for my hubs for V-Day. Yummy.

Here's my recipe; hope it works for you!

4 tblspn butter
48 marshmellows
6 cups Rice Krispies

Put marshmellows and butter in microwave for 2 minutes, stir. Put back in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir in Rice Krispies. Put into a greased pan to let cool.
Eat!

Waggoner Family said...

Donnie makes THE best rice krispy treats! I don't know what he does, but they are SO good. He has even had requests for them!

Danielle said...

I'm with you. I find adding way more marshmallow than is called for helps. It makes them more gooey I guess.

I don't know about the dutch oven/Le Creuset. When I think of a dutch oven I think of digging a hole in the ground and covering it with coals. I would never ever ever do that to my precious pot. But on the same side, maybe you can take an outside dutch oven and use it on the stove or in the oven? I dunno.

Phil and Holly said...

forget the peanut butter, my moms are seriously the best and i'm not just saying that, she says she does nothing different from the directions on the box of kelloggs rice krispies, except as soon as they are in the pan she puts them in the freezer for a little while, helps them firm up or something..