Monday, November 29, 2010

A Little Record of Thanksgiving 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! I am grateful for this holiday for the sole reason that my hubby got to be with us everyday for 3 1/2 days! Whoo hoo! So of course we had to pack in the fun.

DSC_6838

The weekend started off with "the blizzard" that really wasn't more than a couple inches of snow, with lots of cold wind. This pic was taken from my back porch. I've decided I don't need one of those christmas village decorations because I can just look out my window. The snow started off the weekend just right, totally put me in the holiday mood.

I brought out the Christmas movies (yes, they get packed with the decorations... makes it more fun when the kids haven't seen them for a year). And had to giggle when watching The Grinch that Stole Christmas. The Grinch had just had his change of heart and began to cry, when Brans turns to me and declares "I think he's feeling the Spirit!" Too cute.

fall 2010 045
**Auntie Michelle and Auntie Missy**

Thanksgiving was spent with Bryan's family at Nanna and Gunka's house. Kinda weird without Nanna and Gunka there. But the food was great, the company was fun, the boys were so well behaved (thanks to the apps on Chad's Ipad) and Tessa was adorable.

fall 2010 043

DSC_6849
**uncle Chaddy and Cason at the Christmas Tree lot**

Friday, I was NOT out doing the Black friday shopping thing. I've done it once. It's crazy. Instead we went to a movie with the kids and Auntie Michelle, Uncle Chaddy and Auntie Missy. We saw Tangled (cute). I don't usually go to the movies with the boys. That's kind of the daddy and boys thing. I now know why I don't go. 10 minutes into the movie Tessa had an EXPLOSION in her pants. I tried changing her on the dirty theater floor then wrapped our naked little lady in a blanket and handed her to Bryan while I tried to rinse out her totally cute outfit in the bathroom sink and had plans on drying in with the hand driers... but my luck... only paper towels. Why is it babies always have the biggest messiest diapers when you're NOT home?

DSC_6852

Luckily we had another outfit for Tess in the car... just call me Mrs. Prepared... because after the movie we went to pick out our Christmas tree! It was freezing. I had flashbacks to my childhood when I worked on our family's Christmas tree lot and spent a month standing in the freezing cold.

DSC_6856

And here's the winner! When we got her home we realized she was a bit too tall so Bry and I had to do some surgery on her. Then when I got out the lights to decorate, not a single string was completely working! Seriously, most of them would only light up half way down. UGH! I was considering tossing them all but then a poem Pres Hinckley once recited came to my mind. "Use it up, Where it out, Make it do, Or do without." So I wrapped the portions that worked around the tree and just hid the broken ones deep inside the branches. A bit ghetto but it worked. Poor tree is a bit crooked, only decorated on the bottom half (where the boys could reach) and full of broken lights, but we love her. Someday I'll have a perfectly decorated tree, but for the next few years I've decided it's not something I want to stress about or suck the fun out of for my kids.

DSC_7157

Saturday, was the BIG (sad, totally won by pure luck and NO skill) game. We were all dressed in our blues, met up with some family, ate lots of yummy game food (including the best Brie I've ever eaten! Meg I'll be sending you the recipe!), cleaned up yet another Tessa explosion and then drove home in silence... my hubs is quite the Cougar fan... it's better just to keep quiet. I knew our loss had ruined our evening so I brilliantly came up with a plan! We got a sitter for the kids and Bry and I (and our little lady side kick) went to see the latest Harry Potter. No talking to each other needed. :) And just a little warning to any one considering taking their kids to that movie: whoa! VERY scary!!!!

DSC_7100

On Sunday we woke up to more snow. The boys were sure church was going to be canceled. Sorry kids, we're not in Oklahoma anymore. Of course they had to go play in it as soon as we got home.


DSC_7116

DSC_7113

The dead body on the right is Ty, hoping to be sprayed by the snow blower we borrowed.

DSC_7125

And this morning the boys were so enjoying out winter wonderland. I love what an energy burner snow is.

DSC_7129

DSC_7128

All pictures were taken from above because I wasn't leaving the warmth of the porch.

DSC_7134

DSC_7143

Now onto Christmas!!!

1 comment:

The Carlson Crew said...

Oh, these posts make me miss your family! I'm glad you're enjoying Utah, and so awesome you got to have your husband around for a few days!