Friday, August 29, 2008

Thinking of My Dad

I have a HUGE sweet tooth! I MUST have something yummy after lunch and before bed. Yesterdays craving was satisfied by making my dad's Rocky Mountain Cookies. It's amazing how nostalgic food can be. I hadn't ever made this recipe until yesterday, but as I was making it with my boys WHOA a flood of memories and feelings came to me. I remember making these cookies with my dad, being so surprised by the bitter unsweetened chocolate, sitting up at the bar with crumbs all around me, spitting out the walnuts (sorry dad, I put in chocolate chips instead of walnuts). I told the boys how these were Grandpa's cookies, and wished that you were here making them with them. You're a good Daddy. I love you!

6 comments:

Kara and Mike Barber said...

Dads are great, and so our cookies, that is so fun that you could make cookies together. So I loved your dinner pictures, you guys are awesome!!! I would like to do that here. Ok so seminary starts one week from today!! I am excited but a little nervous.

Christine said...

I tell you what, I can attest to those cookies! I think they are the best chocolate cookies I've ever had. They are AMAZING! Thanks, Kristen's dad, for the fabulous recipe!

Devin, April, Gavin and Drew said...

I make those occasionally but I put the walnuts in them... yum!! They really are better the next day... and even better with a glass of milk or vanilla ice cream! Memories!!

TheTandyFamily said...

Post the recipe girl, so I can try them. I mean I was kind of an adopted daughter in the Lundquist family, so I do have some rights to the recipe :) I am so jealous of your Culinary Crew!! I may have to steal your idea. I just need to think of a cool name for my group.

Amy said...

I love the culinary crew idea! What a fun thing! I would also love the rocky Mtn. recipe!! Hope all is well. We miss you guys! xoxo

Laura said...

My Dad used to make homemade popcorn EVERY SINGLE NIGHT before we went to bed. When I pull out my microwave popcorn each night (that would make my dad cringe to hear that its microwave!), I can't help but think of all those great memories. I agree with your friend Kara -- there's nothing as great as Daddies and the memories they make. :)