Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cuz It's My Birthday

Well a couple days ago was my birthday. I woke up and told the boys to be nice to each other and me, cuz it's my birthday. Then I grabbed myself a rice crispy treat for breakfast, cuz it's my birthday, and turned on the TV for the kiddos and sat down in front of my computer This is something I try to never do when the kids are awake, but that day I did, cuz it's my birthday. Facebook was so fun to check because they advertise your birthday to all your friends for you, so I had lots of birthday wishes already waiting for me. Then after a bit I decided it was time to clean, so I spent the next couple of hours cleaning, vacuuming, and laundering, not cuz it was my birthday, but because it really needed it. Then I got Ty to school and little boys to bed and had a quiet lunch with a big bottle of Rootbeer, cuz it's my birthday (I don't usually have pop in the house). Then I started making my birthday cake.

DSC_0004

WHat!? Making your own cake, you exclaim! Oh don't worry, my hubby usually brings me home an ice cream cake for my birthdays, but this year I told him not too. I LOVE a good chocolate cake and have been wanting to try out a few recipes, but never really had a reason to do it. But my birthday was the perfect excuse. So I found a sinfully chocolatey fudgey recipe and was so excited to bake! While baking, Megan, one of my bestest friends ever, came over with a present... cuz it's my birthday.

DSC_9738

How adorable are these pumpkins she made!! I had been coveting them since last year when I saw the ones she had. She remembers these things, and made me my own set. I love them. Come to my house, you'll see I have thing for pumpkins. So life was feeling great at this point, kids were all happily playing, I was up to my elbows in chocolate and I was giggling with my Megan. Oh but it gets better, in walks my handsome hubby with his arms full of gorgeous fall flowers... and it's like 4:00!!

DSC_9740

He usually gets home at around 9:00, but he got off early, cuz it's my birthday. Well, Meg and the kiddos left and Bry took the boys for some pizza and I took advantage of the quiet and went to take a shower... yes, it was about 4:30 and I was still in my pajamas, cuz it's my birthday. I got myself all dolled up, Bry had called a sitter, and we were off to a nice dinner, just the two of us. When we got home we gathered our munchkins and had birthday cake, MY chocolatey fudgey birthday cake.

DSC_1788

The boys liked it. I liked it, though I'm still gonna try some more recipes... do you have one you love? Please pass it on if you do.

DSC_9742 DSC_9747

Oh the day was wonderful. My kids were great, my friends showered me with candied apples, fresh bread, dangly accesories and fun treat holders, and I felt happy to be another year older, doing exactly what I dreamed I'd be doing.

DSC_0009

5 comments:

Wright Family said...

Happy late b-day Kristen! Sounds like the day was great. Love the cake and the pumpkins. I think I need to know how to make those things. Not that I need more projects with 6 weeks left but maybe for next year! I'm glad you had such a wonderful day.

The Gray Family said...

happy birthday! I'm glad you had a good one :>)

Andrea said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Love the pumpkins and that cake looks amazing. Happy Birthday!

Megan said...

Glad you had a good day! I need that cake recipe.

Lisa said...

Glad you had a great day! And those pumpkins are too cute, I will have to figure out how to duplicate those!