Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Farewell Friend

It's been one of those weeks. Ya know, when it rains it pours, kind of week. Sickness after sickness after sickness, a big test for my husband, a birthday, finding out our dog Lexi has cancer, church responsibilities, and the usual school work, karate, etc. I've just been waiting for things to slow down and go back to our norm. Actually by the end of last week things were starting to go back to normal, until Friday night.

Our sweet Lexi had been doing okay until that day. Sadly her tumor looked like it had gotten to her facial nerve and her eye was starting to droop. She was limping. And that night she had a few little episodes where she was having a lot of trouble breathing. As hard as it was to actually consider it, Bryan and I knew it was time to put her sick body to rest. We had no idea just how hard it would be for us.

Saturday afternoon our sweet vet was going to come over to our house to peacefully put Lexi to sleep, so we knew we wanted to make the most of our day with our sweet doggy. We all spent lots of time lovin' on her, we took a family picture and made a big bowl of Lexi's favorite snack (popcorn) for us all to share with her.

DSC_5843

It was a special and very sad day.

Lexi was our very first baby. We got her about 4 months after Bryan and I got married. Bryan and I had gone for a run (back when, as a kidless couple, we could just leave together and go for a pleasant run) and we happened to run past the PetSmart. And there she was, this darling little lazy puppy. We picked her because, while all the other puppies she was with were jumping around, she was content to sit and nap in the corner. Well, she wasn't always the perfect puppy, she chewed up our flip flops, ate any food she could find, tore up our living room carpet, peed whenever she was scared or excited and many more things I know I've forgotten. But she was so sweet and the best little buddy.

She's endured baby after baby after baby after baby.

lexi1
**Brans riding Lexi**

She loved being with us.

lexiiii
**trying to get a good family picture in our new house in Oklahoma (2006)**

lexir


She was our protector. With a hubby who is gone a lot I've always found so much comfort in having her as the eyes and ears of my home.

lexx.bmp
**Living in KY, we went for walks with her every day**

I keep tearing up every time I run into a situation that's just not the same with her not around. Like the night after we buried her, we came home and I put Tess up in her high chair to eat her dinner. When she was done there was a ring of food on the floor underneath her. Did you know I have NEVER had to clean up food under a high chair? That was Lexi's job. Or when entering the living room late at night with all the lights off and not hearing her tail thumping on the couch... always so happy to see us. Or not having to guard the food at the edge of the counters. Or not hearing her bark furosiously at every neighborhood kid that knocks on the door (usually that drives me nuts, but now I actually miss it). Oh the list goes on. sigh.

A few pics thru the years:

pretty puppy

driving home from nc

Road trip (that's Ty!)

ty & lexi in hotel nc

lexi2.bmp

Loved camping trips!

lex

Despised baths

lexiu

lexiii

Loved to chase the boys in their jeep. And loved to chase frogs.

lexii

DSC_5171
Always in the background of our lives

DSC_4317
**can you find her?**

IMG_0323

A "real" pic of life. Me on the computer, boys playing with my camera, Lexi in the middle of it all

DSC_8223

More real life.

DSC_0999

Always waiting for a crumb!

DSC_1354

DSC_4714

DSC_3076

Our buddy.

DSC_3028

DSC_2985

DSC_5747

We miss her.

6 comments:

Nikki A. said...

Oh my goodness, she looks just like our dog, Maddie. Do you know what Lexi was? What a sweet girl! Dogs make wonderful friends and companions. I'm happy that you both got to have each other in your lives. I'm sure she'll be greatly missed!

Our girl is 13 1/2 and is on the downhill slope as well. This was a tough read, but it also makes me grateful for the joy Maddie's been in our lives.

Sorry for the long, dramatic post, but I just wanted you to know that I feel your pain and I pray that you and your family find peace during this tough time :)

Regs said...

I just had to put my cat to sleep for cancer 2 weeks ago - and she was my baby too. I'm so sorry for your loss and hope your heart heals. I'm still working on it.

The Gray Family said...

so sorry :<(

BrieAnn said...

Okay, so I totally just bawled my eyes out. What a sweet, loyal friend she was.

BrieAnn said...

PS: Never cleaned up the floor after a meal? I was telling Jake the other day that a good 20-30 minutes of my day is cleaning up what ends up on the floor after a meal. All the more reason for us to get a dog.

The Wright Fam said...

Kristen, I am so sad to hear about Lexi! I know how much she meant to you and your cute family! How sweet that you guys were able to spend that special day with her, that's something your kids will never forget! Loved seeing all the fun pictures of Lexi, it was a "where's Waldo" adventure. She really was always there! I still remember coming over to your house to hang out, work on a project, or just babysittting while we took turns going for a run.. and Lexi was always there to help keep us company!! Sorry again and thinking about you! :)