Thursday, July 31, 2008

1 Stroller, 2 Large Suitcases, 3 Kids, 4 Hours at the Airport

I am still in Oklahoma... I'm supposed to be in Utah.

Yesterday, the boys and I were supposed to catch a direct flight to Salt Lake. We arrived on time, a good hour before the scheduled flight. I made it through check-in and security checks quite easily considering I had all three boys with me and no other help (I do know how much Brans weighs on the big suitcase weighers, and Ty loved to help everyone with getting their stuff out of the x-ray machine). But then we got to our gate..... and was informed that there was a technical problem with the plane and it would be a little while before we would be able to board...then it was going to be awhile before we would know IF we would board. While we waited we visited Sonic, then a while later we paid $80 for some snacks, then $100 for a bagel and yogurt. I didn't want to touch the snacks I packed, cuz those were for the plane. The plane we NEVER boarded. The awful technical problem (the intercom wouldn't work...I would've been fine if they just yelled the instructions on how to put on our seatbelts) couldn't be fixed, so after being at the airport for over 4 hours, we located our luggage and headed back out of the airport. At this point the kids are devastated that we aren't going on the plane and are afraid they've missed their grandpa's birthday...but busied themselves with cigarette butts and abandoned cups of mystery drink from Sonic. Now we're home, still in the same clothes as yesterday (I don't want to unpack the perfectly packed suitcases!) and will be attempting to fly away again in just a few hours. Wish us luck.

I do have to mention some "tender mercies" though! Michelle- you rock! Thanks for picking us up, dropping off my car, picking up my car, picking us up again, and dropping us and the car off again. Ty, Brans and Cason, considering the situation, you all did marvelously. May you be wonderful today. Lady at the counter- thanks for letting us cut in line, so we could get new tickets, before all the people with no children...oh and for giving my kids some water...for FREE. Megan for making me forget the entire ordeal with good conversation and donuts... I owe you big! I hope you don't have to come back to the airport to pick us up tonight.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Auuugghh!! The torture is just to much! Flying with kids is so hard but then add all of that to it and it turns into a nightmare. Hilarious though about the $100 bagel & yogurt - it really is highway robbery there...Better luck today...xoxo

Phil and Holly said...

This is a foreshadow of my future life if i stay working for the airlines.... ya I think I'm better off quitting!!
Good luck today!
-Holly

The Wright Fam said...

I am so glad your airport nightmare is behind you, now you just relax and enjoy your trip, you deserve it!! Have so much fun!

Debbie Richmond said...

You know I think you are awesome but now you are even higher on the totem pole. 3 kids by yourself is indeed a brave thing. I certainly hope you plan on at least calling us if you are staying here in Utah for any length of time. We sure would love to see you and the boys. We are listed!!!! have fun love you all xxx ooo

Kara and Mike Barber said...

What a crazy day you had, I am so glad you made it out to Utah though, everyone said they loved seeing you guys at the family reunion. I have to call you, we start Seminary soon and I am getting nervous!!!

Shuldberg Family said...

The airport is torture. Your poor boys - not to mention you. Good luck with getting to Utah.