Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Concerned for Pilgrims and Indians

DSC_1044 DSC_1043

Well my quest for Thanksgiving themed ideas/crafts/fun continues. I knew I wanted to teach my kiddos about how Thanksgiving came about and I figured FHE (Family Home Evening- a night a week dedicated to teaching and playing with your family) was a great time to do it. First off I went to Wikipedia to get my facts straight about Thanksgiving. Then I made a pilgrim hat and an Indian headband, gotta make things interesting. I told the story about the pilgrims coming over and how they got really sick and lots of people died... and then the Indians came and taught them lots of things like how to hunt and grow food. Then the pilgrims wanted to thank the Indians, so after they grew lots of food they had a big dinner and invited the Indians and they told them THANKS. While I told the story I used the hats, when I talked about the pilgrims I had someone wear that hat, and then when I got to the Indians we put that hat on. After I told the story I had them act it out... which was hilarious...lets just say there was a lot of "arrows" being thrown at poor helpless stuffed animals. Then we talked about things we were thankful for. I think it was all pretty successful... though through the whole lesson all Ty really wanted to know about where the Pilgrims and Indians pooped. Boys.

No comments: