Monday, June 21, 2010

Iceland... besides the volcano, not so exciting

Our Amazing Race version of the Bachelorette continued and they were all off to Iceland... what's in Iceland? Exactly what it sounds like... lots of ice. To be honest there wasn't much more than that. Thank goodness for the totally awkward Kasey moments or there wouldn't be too much to talk about in this episode. Chris Harrison meets up with all the guys (who are totally bundled up with only their eyes and noses showing) and announces that this time there will be 3 dates, a one on one, a group and a two on one. To decide who gets the only one on one date they have to write a love poem to Ali and they get extra credit (though we never saw what that extra credit was... I think they just wanted to make fools of the guys) if it includes an Icelandic word. Frank was pretty confident since he has "written a number of love poems in his day." Was anyone surprised by how awful the poems were? Not me. Chris L's was goofy (but coming from him oh so cute), Frank's was pretty smooth and I'm sure Kasey's poem was intense (and probably included some guarding and protecting of hearts), but we couldn't understand any of it. It was a combo of his odd voice (why has he never admitted to having some sort of hearing loss or something?) and all his mumbling. Seriously, even the subtitle writing man couldn't come up with what he was saying. Kirk's poem won (I woulda chosen it too... soley on poem goodness, not on who he is... cuz we all know I would have picked Chris). He scored points by being a bit more personal and looking into her eyes (duh guys did you not learn this from Roberto last week?)


So onto Kirk's one on one date which began with trying on ugly sweaters in some sweater store. They decided on going Sadie Hawkins style and picked matching sweaters and scarves. They went to lunch where he wouldn't discuss his dating life. The curiosity is building. And then suddenly they're off to dinner at the Lobster house (where in the world were they for the hours in between?) Over dinner he revealed that he had gotten deathly ill (from asbestos poisoning) while in his 20's. It actually all sounded very sincere and even if I'm not a huge fan of Kirk, I do think she actually sees more than just a good makeout buddy in him now.


Then we were on to the group date - a pretty lame group date. They were in the freezing cold, riding little horses, looking at what wasn't the prettiest terrain, and then they were lowered into a dark cave. Chris L summed it up well when he said "What's next? Playing with snakes?" The only cool part was when they went swimming in the Blue Lagoon, a natural hot springs, where the guys continued to compete for time with her. Chris L got the only smooches but Ty got the frozen rose for being such a nice southern gentleman and helping her so much along the way.

Now onto the two on one date with Justin and Kasey. Oh it totally felt like watching a car wreck, so disturbing and awkward that you just can't look away. It started with yet ANOTHER helicopter of love (I think we can all say that Ali isn't afraid of flying anymore). They circled the spewing volcano and then landed on it to look around. Then they were off to some cave that had ice furniture...I think everyone was cold for 3 days straight. Was anyone else totally holding their breath when Kasey decided to show Ali his tattoo? She handled it pretty well (no outburst of "you're crazy!") but I'm pretty sure that was the deciding factor in giving the rose to Justin (who I don't think she was that into either). I actually was hoping she wouldn't give anyone the rose. Then we could've seen the 2 of them left to duke it out on the glacier while she flew away in helicopter. But, somehow Mr Rated R made the flight with her and left a lone Kasey on a big piece of ice, looking at his tattoo.

The rose ceremony was FAR from dramatic this time. I think all of us knew it would be down to the 2 guys that we have never heard a word from! Not a second of camera time was given to our Craig and Chris N until the rose ceremony. Apparently Craig's pen drawn tattoo made her laugh more than Chris "revealing" that he likes Mexican food. Chris, whoever you are, didn't get the rose and off he went. No trip to Istanbul, Turkey for you. Who decided on these particular exotic locations?

Well next weeks episode looks like it will be much more exciting. I'm thinking this is where Justin will be outed as a jerk. Do you think so too? Also, I'm liking one of my friends theories that maybe Craig is a spy for Ali. I like that idea. What do you think? Oh!! And did you hear that Jake and Vienna have broken up??!! Shocker. (not)

2 comments:

~Jen~ said...

Alright, but I didn't get why the being deathly ill explained why he hadn't dated anyone for more than a year. Am I missing something? I mean, I get why he didn't date when he was ill, but what about before and after? I'm still iffy about what is up with that. Although I agree he was very sincere about his illness story and I liked him, but I still have a question mark over him.

And I'm with you - its Justin.

Mrs. J said...

Okay, so..I was in a funk yesterday. ANd by the time RY came home I really needed out of the house (it had been four days). So I jumped in the car and went for a drive. I found myself at Barnes and Noble, glancing thru gossip mags, cause it was mind numbing and frankly, enjoyable. The Bachlorette was on one cover so I thought, why not read it...bummer I did, cause they had all this insider stuff, and more sadly..info on MY favorite, FRANK. I won't be the complete spoiler and reveal it, esp if it is true, but WOW..we are in for a shocker with him. It makes me sad. I want him as the end guy. I guess we shall see.
(Call me if you wanna hear it)