Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Birthday Blessings

Well I'm officially 32 years old now. The number doesn't scare me, the actual signs of aging do. I'm actually quite happy to be 32. I always feel like the ever increasing number is something I've earned. It's a sign of being a bit wiser. And I'm very happy about all I've done and accomplished in those 32 years. As for the not so glowy skin, a few wrinkles, occasional creaky body and metabolism that seems to be slowing a bit, well I could do without... but I guess I've earned those too.

DSC_5908bw

I had actually forgotten about the upcoming birthday up until a couple days before. Weird. Remember when you counted down to it, starting like 3 months before? Not anymore. At the beginning of the month I had drawn a little birthday cake on the dry erase board calendar with "Mom's Birthday" next to it, and this week when I saw it I actually thought "huh? Mom's birthday isn't this month?" Yes, I was thinking it was my mom's birthday. I guess losing my mind comes with getting older too.

Last year's birthday was absolutely delightful. Maybe that was what made the beginning of MY day so stinky. I had set myself up for disappointment. The kiddos were oh so grumpy. My guilt trips of "all I want for my birthday today is for you all to get along and obey me" weren't working. My chocolate mousse cake, though fun to make and yummy, wasn't exactly what I wanted. My house didn't magically stay clean and meals for the kids didn't suddenly appear (though cold cereal dinners aren't exactly hard to make). Needless to say, I was a bit bummed. But what kept me from crying was thinking of the prayer I offered the night before.

Instead of the usual thank yous and I needs sent heavenward, I thanked Him for all the incredible blessings I had been given in the last 32 years: For being born into the most amazing family, having been brought up with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for the family I married into, for the family I call my own, for a hubby that makes me laugh, loves me and takes very good care of me and my family, for a warm house, for all the warm houses I've had, for inspiring teachers, for faith building experiences and callings, for the most thoughtful friends, for talents, for schooling, for a healthy body, for a bright future.... I AM SO BLESSED.

DSC_6044 copy

Okay so my day wasn't going perfectly, but my life, though sprinkled with my share of trials and silly frustrations, is perfect. I could deal with one stinky day... which it was... until 6:00 that night, when Mr. Christensen walked in the door. It's amazing how one person can turn everything around. I got kisses, presents and a dinner out with just him and our little lady side kick. The evening ended with my little munchkins singing Happy Birthday to me, a box of Sees and curling up with Mr. Wonderful to watch a movie. I AM SO BLESSED.

DSC_6047

3 comments:

Larsen Family said...

haha im glad i am not the only who used the 'all i want for my birthday is for you to obey' i tried that on kenna too and i didn't work either

The Gray Family said...

Happy Birthday Kristen! Glad your day ended well :>)

Wright Family said...

You always have such a great outlook on things and life in general. I wish I had a tiny bit of that! Fun pics, cute kids, and you look awesome! I'm glad your day ended well.