Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Family Scripture Study

Okay, I need the advice of all you wonder mommies out there. I've begun to attempt family scripture study with my little ones. Not the easiest thing. How do you do it in your house? Do you read straight from the Bible or Book of Mormon? Do you just read from the kid story versions? How long do you do it (5 minutes, a few verses)? Looking for some ideas!

10 comments:

The Wright Fam said...

Let me know if you get any good suggestions!!!! By the way, we will definitely need a Bachelor Night when it gets down to the finals!!

Misty said...

Right now, we read straight from the Book of Mormon, and we do it right after dinner...when the boys are still strapped into their high chairs! (Probably not the best way, but it's working for us while their at this stage!) My friend got the Gospel Art Kit and then reads the short story that's on the back of a picture while the kids look at it. I'll be lurking through all of your comments to hear all the good suggestions, too! :)

Wright Family said...

We basically read the kid version stories and try to make it through one story at a time. That way they get the "stories" and some of our explanations plus they have pictures to look at.

Holly said...

both when I was growing up and now with Lucy, we read in the morning during breakfast. We each have a Book of Mormon and we all take turns reading. In my family (with 5 kids) we each read three verses at a time and went around til everyone had a turn and then usually kept going until we had read at least one or two chapters. If one of the kids was too little to read, my Mom or Dad would help him read about 1 verse. Right now Jansen and I take turns reading three verses and in-between we take turns having her read words back to us (about 1 verse total for her). The three verse thing is nice because the other person can eat some cereal in-between. Make sense? Ü
Another thing that was fun was my Dad got us each scripture bookmarks and colored pencils for marking verses and when we read something that impressed any of us, we would stop and discuss, and we would all mark the verse. (obviously we aren't doing that with Lucy just yet Ü)

Holly said...

wow...that was long Ü

~Jen~ said...

We haven't set a daily pattern yet. But we incorporate it all into our month mainly in FHE, but also throughout the week as we discuss what we learned in FHE and we recite scriptures each night.

We basically tell the stories in our own words with visuals I find on line, or in the church's picture set. We do read straight from the scriptures as well when we're telling the story so they can hear the language of the scripture and then we break it down to what it means. We kind of focus on a set each month with Family nights and we talk about them all month long so that they really learn them.

We also have the kids memorize the scripture of the month in Primary, and we work on the article of faith's yearly. I try to make it all coordinate. For instance. This month's scripture in primary is actually from the Family Proclamation, "The Family is Ordained of God." So, in FHE's we're focusing around that theme, but we're also on the 2nd article of faith which is about Adam. SO - we're learning about Adam and Eve and all the scripture stories that surround them and their family. During the month we'll color pictures, act out stories and each night we recite our scripture and article of faith. I find by week 2 if their short my kids can say them on their own without help. At the end of the month I like to have them give the FHE lesson and teach us back the stories we've been talking about all month.

CandiShack said...

I just started reading the kid version of the Book of Mormon to Chad as part of his bedtime story. So we'll read that, and then a regular bedtime book. He says he likes it better when I read, rather than his daddy. :) I think that's because maybe Jeff just reads straight from the book, and I kind of tailor it to Chad's understanding, and make it more fun. He has really loved it, too! He's very excited about the Book of Mormon, and one of his new favorite phrases is: "like Nephi", (ex: "I want to be obedient like Nephi") hehe

Jeri said...

I read straight out of the Book of Mormon to the family while they eat breakfast each morning. They really like it and now that the girls are older, the hurry and eat so that they get a turn to read. They even remind me to get started if we are running late!

Janelle Ehat said...

We read right from the Book of Mormon. I've been shocked at my kids understanding of what we read even when we don't take the time to stop and explain things. Even at the age of 3! We do it sometimes while eating dinner. The kids' mouths are full and so they aren't talking much and they will sit still long enough to get in a few good verses and then we have a chance to talk about it over the rest of dinner. The other time we do it is after they are tucked into bed. It's quiet and we read a few verses and then say prayers and then they fall asleep. Now that the kids are getting bigger we let them help read. The younger kids who can't read will want to help sometimes, so we whisper it into their ears and they repeat it out loud. It gets them involved and they listen really well to each other.

Laura said...

Hey Kristin! We make a special deal out of it each morning. We try to do it before Tyler leaves, but rarely make it. So I make OJ or pull out some strawberries or a special little treat and let the boys look at the pictures while I read/tell the stories out of the little readers. We usually read one or two stories a day - depending on interest level. THey love it because it is a special thing each morning. I've also had friends who read out of the regular book of mormon and then have the kids repeat the words, just to get them familiar with the language. I think our little guys are too young to understand straight out of the book of mormon, and my goal at this point is to familiarize them with the stories of the book and to establish a pattern of scripture study. Whatever works for you -- more power to ya! :)