Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I Am Thankful

Okay, so don't be thinkin' I'm tooting my own horn by blogging about another FHE (Family Home Evening) lesson. I wish I could say we faithfully have great lessons every Monday night, filled with the Spirit, and we're all better because of it. Reality, I TRY to have FHE every Monday night, I TRY to keep everyone from jumping around the room while I teach a lesson, and I TRY not to end it with it "Nevermind! Everyone just go to bed!" Elder Bednar's talk in this last General Conference really inspired me to just keep on TRYING! I loved when he said:

"In my office is a beautiful painting of a wheat field. The painting is a vast collection of individual brushstrokes—none of which in isolation is very interesting or impressive. In fact, if you stand close to the canvas, all you can see is a mass of seemingly unrelated and unattractive streaks of yellow and gold and brown paint. However, as you gradually move away from the canvas, all of the individual brushstrokes combine together and produce a magnificent landscape of a wheat field. Many ordinary, individual brushstrokes work together to create a captivating and beautiful painting.
Each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But just as the yellow and gold and brown strokes of paint complement each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33). Consistency is a key principle as we lay the foundation of a great work in our individual lives and as we become more diligent and concerned in our own homes."

So with renewed determination, I've been having more consistent FHE's. And I'm ALWAYS looking for new ways to teach my children. So that's why I'm sharing what we've done... just in case someone else is looking for ideas for their own family. I'd love it if all of you would share your ideas on your blogs!

Anyway, so with the upcoming Thanksgiving, I thought I'd do the Thankful lesson this week (we did the history part last week... a previous post). After a hymn and a prayer, we talked about what it meant to be thankful for something. I had the boys all tell me somethings they were thankful for and why. Then I had them pick a person they were thankful for and why. Then I got out a piece of paper and traced each of their hands on it and quickly turned it into a turkey (we're talking easy, a couple legs, an eye and that wiggly thing that hangs from their heads). On the top I wrote "I Am Thankful for _____ because" and I put the name of someone there and then the kids told me why they were thankful for that person. We did Dad, Ty's teacher at school, some friends of theirs, etc. The kids were totally into it. Then after ending FHE we decorated turkey cookies. I just used a hand cookie cutter and we turned them into turkeys. The next day we delivered our notes with our treat. Fun!

DSC_2165 DSC_2166

DSC_2168
He's missing his eye.

The lesson actually made me think of all the people I am so grateful for and has prompted me to tell those people why I am so grateful for them. So here's a challenge to you... instead of just listing the things you're grateful for this season, pick some people that you're grateful for and tell them, it could be in an email, a note or in person (or you could trace your hand, turn it into a turkey, and write it on there!). Go do it, right now! :)

DSC_2164
It will make you and them so happy!

2 comments:

Wright Family said...

You are the funnest mom!

Joni said...

You are an awesome mom and so full of fun and energy. It was fun watching you yesterday with your boys. They are lucky to have you as their mother!